Sunday 17 March 2013

LEGO RESPONSIVE// YCN Submission and Evaluation

My response to the brief was an idea taken from Lego instruction manuals. With a Lego instruction manual a young child can be told how to build an extremely complex model without a single paragraph of text. This imagery is what I tried to exploit in my own design becuase I know how powerful and effective it is. With this concept I made a bus banner advert and a city poster, they are instruction manuals on how to make people happy with lego. I have added the tagline ‘Start Building Fun’ and linked each word to an illustration with numbers, this relationship between text and image expands the posters connotations to; ‘Start making Lego, Build something imaginative and have Fun with friends doing it.’ The aim of the simple design style was to get Parents nostalgic about playing with Lego as children, in the hope that they will buy some Lego for their own kids. Additionally the designs work as basic promotion and the solid iconic imagery can be noticed by anyone. I also mocked up some in store front promotion, in the form of shopping bags and box art. The same principles apply to these, and are intended to be taken home and kept. Lego is a brand I respect hugely and I really thought I would enjoy generating Ideas for them. At the end of the day this was not really the case and my familiarity of the brand made it incredibly difficult to come up with anything particularly new that I could be proud of. This caused me to reject Ideas before I had really experimented with them and once I had an idea I was happy with I found it difficult to improve or expand the concept in any meaningful way. What I like about the designs I ended up with was the clean balance or colour and white space mixed with a slightly retro style. I also believe the posters would work well on anyone who has played with Lego before an used the instruction manuals. On the other hand in terms of submission the idea is not big enough and although I have theorised over one good idea I could have produced more work over the Christmas break and developed the whole thing a lot further. I would have liked in retrospect, to produce a larger instruction manual book which could be packaged with Lego products and act as a history book and procure.

No comments:

Post a Comment