Tuesday 12 March 2013

FEDRIGONI RESPONSIVE// Lasercutting

This morning We finally got to laser cut our final designs. We were making two books so took one machine each. The Process was not without problems and took a huge amount of time to set up initially, however we sped up as our confidence grew. The main concern here was that if there were any problems we wouldn't really have any time at all to correct them, the submission is in two days and the building of the book has only just started, many of the pages cant be replaced and printing has taken a huge amount of time, with the studio printers out of bounds due to interviews.

Despite taking a huge amount of care to get the cut right I managed to destroy the first two pages as well as the page with the paper mill on. The first two (green) were down to setting up the laser cutter incorrectly; it cut in the wrong place. The paper mill page (red) cut the negative of what I wanted it to be. This was due to importing the wrong illustrator file after some last minute changes. Amazingly all three pages could be replaced from the library stock so all I had to do to replace the pages was print them out and drop in over lunch.

My final book beside the pages I cut incorrectly.

Even with missing pages I could see how the scene could fit together, here the hills are taken apart and the mill is still missing.

At lunch I managed to get the missing pages re-cut and added them to the book. This image shows the final design ready for cropping and binding, which we have already started today. I will write a full analysis of what I think in a later post but for now I'm really impressed with how the book has turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment