Thursday 2 February 2012

100 Things// Diamonds are Death Poster (part 2)

Following a crit recently I was told that the poser 'Diamonds are death' is too unclear. The reviewer could guess that the object was a machete but said to some it might not look like anything. She suggested that the shape be made to look more knife like, which I thought was a great idea.
Eventually I found that I really wanted to keep the machete image because the machete has such a sinister imagery and is known to be used as a brutal tool in maybe African conflicts in particular through popular culture. For example the use of machetes in the film 'Blood Diamond' to hack of peoples hands. So instead of changing the object I gave it a context by adding a hand. The hand grips the machete tightly and blood drips from the tip in the shape of diamonds. The hand is crudely drawn but has a fairly sleak look to it to fit in with the rest of the poster.


No comments:

Post a Comment