Saturday 5 May 2012

YOUR CHOICE// Death Proof 2000's

 This is the documentation of the poster for the Quote from Death Proof. "Fair Lady, Your chariot awaits". For this design I needed use an image of the actual death proof car because of the distinctive skull painted on the front. This image features on the front of the late release DVD cases and a few official and unofficial posters.

  I carried out the standard tracing method for this car. Interestingly the lights sit behind the grill so aren't visible here. The car was obviously chosen for its very menacing aesthetics.

 I added the skull and some text. I am trying to create the b-movie feel that Tarantino also wanted to create with the official poster with the film itself. I feel that this font is too over used and identifiable as a comic book horror type.

 I experimented with this more cut back text. I like the feel of this type better, it fits the b-movie poster feel and almost looks like its pronouncing the engine tone of the car revving.

 I added these racing lines which morph into road lines for some decoration. I also use them as a frame to hold some block text with a slight angle adjustment.





Tested a few western style typefaces, the character 'stuntman mike is referred to as a cowboy at one point and much of the film has a western tone to it.

I decided that the font called 'Friday 13' suited the quote and feel of the film the best and also reflects the intentionally trashy filmography.

No comments:

Post a Comment