Friday 2 December 2011

How To// Ring Size Guide

Probably the most important part of buying right ring is getting the right size. From the research I realised that the differences between ring sizes are only 0.4 of a millimetre, each time but this can mean the difference between a ring that fits and one that it way too tight or too loose. There are many ring sizes as a result so fitting the ring size chart into the A6 space I am allowed may be a problem as there is no way the sizes can be altered.

This is the first design were I basically just formed a layout on A4 format to see the range of sizes and experiment. Using Bebas Neue font as a header and a crude diamond ring separating the text as decoration. The method I would hope the buyer to use would be to hold an existing ring up to the chart to measure the correct size.

As a group we have decided to keep the design very simple, especially in the range of colour which will be reduced to black and white. This page by nature cannot have much decoration, it has a utilitarian use and should not be cluttered for its purpose. However I can experiment with the header and its little ring stamp, this font is called Ranger, I like how it is chunky like Bebas but its height remains low which will save space when the chart is formatted to the correct A6 format. The heavy weight of the font also balances with the solid blocks of black which the chart creates.

This is what the size guide looks like in A6 format. I have cut out some sizes from 'A' to 'D' and 'Z+3' to 'Z+8'. Realistically the only sizes people have are between 'I' and 'Z' so we consider rejected sizes as obsolete. This way we can retain the small pocket sized book while keeping the useful content also.

This is a mockup of what the final size guide could look like. We plan on printing the whole booklet in a sort of negative white on black. I also think this will help the user measure the ring, a thin black line is easier to spot when comparing the sizes than white. The simplicity of this design is its strongest attribute in my opinion, the nature of the chart has forced me to use clean clear lines and this has resulted in a strong and balanced feel. Lots of geometry and symmetry has resulted in a design that I really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment