Wednesday 17 April 2013

OUGD 503 Module Evaluation

The module as a whole has been mixed for me. At some points I have found topics which really interest me almost impossible to work on and at the same time I’ve found that some of the most boring briefs have resulted in the most imaginative ideas, and the best design work.

Being able to choose my own briefs was a great opportunity for me to try out a wide range of industries I could potentially work in, from a business consultancy to an indie film-maker to a soda company. This has informed me in many ways as to what sort of companies I want to work for in the future instead of just what I want to do right now, although having said that I do feel like I would have been more motivated to work and happier doing said work if I had just picked design briefs I knew I would enjoy. This is my main regret from this brief, that I didn’t just use it to do some fun projects well instead of experimenting with industries.

One of the best parts of working with all these different types of people has been the types of feedback given for my work, this has really expanded my knowledge on how to deal problems and improve my design for people who aren’t designers for a change. For example in our studio crits someone might say that your kerning is wrong or that a grid is 2px out, both valid points. However feedback from actual clients can lead to total work overhauls, which really makes designing more dynamic and fun, as well as (usually) pushing my design in the right direction. I have also gained confidence in talking to clients openly about work and how to argue in favour of my design to someone who doesn’t understand what you are talking about. Another advantage to working for real clients is the added pressure to perform and get it right first time. This is increased if money is involved and I have found myself producing work that would often take me a day to organise usually in about an hour.

Due to the fl uid and fast paced nature of the work I have experienced, this module has taught me a much faster technique to finishing design work and generating ideas that I can carry over into other parts of the course. Also during Fedrigoni I started actually working as hard as I could, instead of doing things as easily as I can, this has improved my confidence in the work I do, and once we start the next brief I feel like I will finally start getting things done again.

The Fedrigoni brief was by far the most successful project I have worked on during this module.  I think a lot of this was down to trying to keep Ste happy with the progress we where making, as I’m usually only accountable for my-self on these projects, this time I had to make sure myself and Ste did well. The other reason Fedrigoni was so successful is down to the way we structured the whole project, starting with research and development, then planning the work and design together and actually finishing with a made product instead of just mock ups and images. Ste and I also worked well together as a team, and any disagreement was met with a good solution instead of going forward with either of us unhappy. The only thing we may have compromised for was deciding to make two books so that we could each do a design. This decision was probably a bad idea at first, however we did make two books instead of one in the end and they work great as a set. It also got us working faster and allowed us to diversify our ideas for the better. The Fedrigoni brief also allowed us to experiments with a huge range of off-screen processes including laser cutting, bookbinding and embossing as well as pushing our time management skills to their absolute limit.

Research and contextualisation of the graphic design I was doing on this brief operated at different levels from project to project. Fedrigoni and Lego for example required a large amount of research and planning to even get going, whilst some projects, especially ones for new brands, could be complete in a day after looking at a few competitors in the market and planning how to go forward from there. I also managed to gather research from a range of sources. The library was invaluable for the Fedrigoni brief and provided all the research we needed on paper crafting, both in terms of manufacture and for new ideas. Again I got a large amount of the information I needed quickly off the internet, especially during Easter when a good number of research books are not close by. I also visited the Design Museum which was interesting, helped with the more contextual side of my development but didn’t actually provide any solid research.

This module has provided many challenges to overcome and meet head on. Having time to experiment with a range of briefs has been extremely useful for my development as a designer, especially with the interesting problems that live design briefs throw up. In the future I need to keep the same output as I managed on the Fedrigoni brief if I want to do well on this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment