Monday 8 April 2013

3D VA ICONS RESPONSIVE// Submission and Evaluation

The client indicated that he wanted something that would fit with windows newer redesign, as his software will run on windows only. This lead me to produce all 19 icons as vectors in very simple colours, a dark grey is used for the icon and an electric blue for any accents or decoration on each one. Of course I didn’t have to use any colours at all, the brief stated minimal colours, however indicated that something a little different from the standard icons used traditionally would be nice. I created each icon from scratch with what I thought each one should represent, I did get feedback to change a few, usually due to over-complication, which I re-designed immediately. I really enjoyed working on this project in particular becuase I felt at home making these icons and using the terminology associated, something that I can say I understand well. Hopefully this is the sort of knowledge that can set me apart from other designers in the future. I came a close second in this competition after a lot of dialogue with the client which indicated that I was close but just not quite there. Having seen the winning submission the client has ended up going for a slightly more old-school icon set, with shading on the icons etc. If anything I am learning that I should have pushed the client harder for more information on how to improve the design, although I will never know for sure the exact process he used for choosing. The icons should really express what they mean in a simple way, and that’s exactly what working at this size is all about, to improve these icons I needed to go back and refine them down to even simpler shapes and perhaps make the colours bolder. I enjoyed working at this size as it was a real challenge, I created many different versions of each icon in the process of designing them and it came fairly naturally to me. The icons do work well at their 16px and 24px sizes, so I would label this brief as a successful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment