Thursday 16 May 2013

WHAT IS GOOD?// Image Generation for Public Info Booklet

I've been piecing together a few bits of imagery for my public information booklet. This second booklet will inform the public of the benefits of space exploration to us as a civilisation and also to the UK high tech and manufacturing industry. 
This first illustration features three 'workers' which could be considered as analogues of real world workers finding jobs in the space exploration industry. Left there is a mathematician, middle a character representing someone with a construction job and on the right an engineer. They will fit onto a page about the job prospects that the space industry has to offer. 
I used this graph from a site about the UKs government spending to create my own version for the booklet. I basically just copied the whole thing and changed the colours. The aim for this graph is to explain the tiny amount that the UKSA takes out of the overal budget, such a little amount that the graph doesn't even need to change shape or values.
I converted the graph into this sightly more stylised version of a pie chart. I thought the standard one would be too plain, or average, not sending the right sort of message that I want the book to send. I have also added this moonrise behind the graph, suggesting that the two circular shapes are planets in orbit.

I switched back to using just one colour for the graph. I realised that the use of multiple colours was unnecessary and broke the visual identity guidelines. This colour blue is the C100 M70 Y0 K0 that the guidelines suggests using. The grey is also the K60 from the guidelines. This refines sort of thing refines the booklet and brings it in line with the guidelines, but also improves it aesthetically.

The other thing that I have put together here is some ideas for a front cover of the booklet. The visual identity manual has already provided me with some rules and regulations as well as all the components I need to design this cover I just needed to arrange these in a way I thought looked good. The rocket is an ESA Vega, a small satellite launcher that the europeans use put things in orbit. It is taken from the manual design application page. The typeface I used is also one that follows the manual regulations, Century Gothic regular.

Because the manual has given me a set of rules and imaged all I really need to do is arrange the components successfully. Here the UKSA Orbit logo sits on top of the Vega rocket, this would be breaking one of the rules from the manual, that the logo needs a 1:5 width boarder around itself comparative to its size.

This too would be breaking the same rule and the heavy italics are too over the top for the professional tone that I want the UKSA to set. 

Positioning the text in a suitable location is also important, the title needs to be seen before the logo so It makes sense to place it above the logo and at a larger side to improve the overal hierarchy of the cover. Here I have also tested a planet, I want the rocket to look like more than just a solitary placeholder. The planet or moons aim is to provide a destination or target for the rocket, and to also give the image some perspective.

This is the final cover which I will transfer to the indesign document soon. As you can see I have repositioned the elements so that they follow the rules of my UKSA visual identity manual, the logo has got some space around it and the font and location of the title are suitable. I have also changed the spacecrafts destination planet/ moon slightly and placed it in  new location, which subtly reflects the location of the orbiting body on the UKSA logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment